EXTENDMAX – Electric LED lights, including self-ballasted LED bulb, LED tube, LED luminaire, LED spot light, and mobile and fixed common LED lamps, are under mandatory scope for CR type approval (for Safety and EMC) to enter Vietnam. CR approval is not the only market access requirement, LED lingtings also have to meet requirement on VNEEP energy efficiency and energy labeling to enter market.
(1) CR mark safety approval according to QCVN 19:2019/BKHCN of MOST Vietnam for Safety and EMC compliance (mandatory from Jan 01, 2021) (in accordance with amendment No. 1383/QD-BKHCN dated May 22, 2020 of the Vietnam MOST)
(2) Minimum Energy Performance Standard (MEPS) and Declaration of Conformity for Energy Efficiency (EE DoC) according to regulations of MOIT Vietnam (applicable for E27, B22 LED bulbs and G5, G13 LED tubes only)
(3) RoHS compliance according to new MOIT regulation on RoHS (shall enforce CR approval for RoHS soon)
(4) LED lighting products use on transportation means (LED headlights) is under mandatory approval of Ministry of Transport
(5) LED lighting products use for lighting constructions (traffic lights, and LED light use for city public area) and outdoor media advertising are under mandatory approval of Ministry of Construction
Pursuant to regulations at Decree 74/2018/ND-CP of Vietnam Government and Decision No. 3810/QD-BKHCN of MOST Vietnam, LED lights are also required to do “Product Quality Inspection Registration” (PQIR) process for customs clearance.
Within scope of this article, we guide for MOST Safety and EMC CR Mark approval only. For MOIT Minimum Energy Performance Standard (MEPS) and Declaration of Conformity for Energy Efficiency (EE DoC) applicable for LED lights, please visit this link on our website for more details.
Guides for other kinds of approval under Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Construction will be published soon in our next articles
1. List of LED lights and according HS codes under mandatory certification scope.
Product description according to HS Code
Scope of application
Light emitting diode (LED)
2. Applicable national technical regulations and standards applicable for LED lights.
Decision1383/QD-BKHCN dated May 22, 2020 to adjust enforcement date of CR approval for LED lights
Circular 08/2019/TT-BTTTT of MOST Vietnam
QCVN 19:2019/BKHCN - National technical regulation on LED lighting products
TCVN 8782:2017 (IEC 62560:2015) - Self-ballasted LED-lamps for general lighting services by voltage > 50 V - Safety specifications
TCVN 7722-1:2017 (IEC 60598-1:2014 WITH AMD1:2017) : Luminaires - Part 1: General requirements and tests
TCVN 7722-2-x:2013 (IEC 60598-2-x): Luminaires – Part 2: Particular requirements applicable for specific kind of LED lights
TCVN 11846:2017 (IEC 62776:2014): Double-capped LED-lamps designed to retrofit linear fluorescent lamps - Safety specifications
TCVN 7186:2018 (CISPR 15:2018): Limits and methods of measurement of radio disturbance characteristics of electrical lighting and similar equipment
IEC 61547:2009 Ed 2.0: Equipment for general lighting purposes - EMC immunity requirements (enforced from Jan 01, 2022) (in accordance with amendment No. 1383/QD-BKHCN dated May 22, 2020 of the Vietnam MOST)
IEC 62471:2006: Photobiological safety of lamps and lamp systems (enforced from Jan 01, 2022) (in accordance with amendment No. 1383/QD-BKHCN dated May 22, 2020 of the Vietnam MOST)
3. Type Approval certification procedure and requirements for LED lighting products:
Certification system 1 - Typical sample testing with below details
→ Type Approval certificate has 03 years validity period
→ Certificate granted for local company (importer) as certificate holder
→ Several factories of Manufacturer (or Brand Owner) can be listed on one certificate
→ Several or more product models can be listed on one certificate
→ Series model application is allowed under certain conditions
→ CB test report could be accepted by certain certification authority
→ The more models to be applied for certification at the same time, the less cost will be.
Required documents and sample to apply for Type Approval certificate under certification system 1 for LED lightsare as follows:
(1) Type approval application form
(2) Product specifications of products
(3) PCB layouts, and Cirticle Components List (CCL) for serries model evaluations (if available)
(4) CB test report or test report issued by ISO / IEC 17025 test lab (if available)
(5) 05 – 10 samples per model for testing (depends on type of LED lamp)
4. Certification Authorities
Client can choose a Certification Authority designated by MOST Vietnam for certification process of choice. There are around 10 Certification Authorities in Vietnam has been designated by MOST for certification system 1 (typicalsample testing) but only few test laboratory has been designated by MOST Vietnam for testing at this moment.
5. Declaration of Conformity and import process
Pursuant to Decree 74/2018/ND-CP Declaration of Conformity process is different between imported products and local manufactured products:
Local manufactured products: After obtaining Type Approval certificate, applicant has to prepare a Declaration of Conformity dossier and apply local branch of Directorate for Standards, Metrology, and Quality (STAMQ) of MOST Vietnam, local branch of STAMQ shall issue a Notice for Acceptance of Declaration of Conformity
Imported products: Declaration of Conformity process is completed during “Product Quality Inspection Registration” (PQIR) process.
6. Preview of Vietnam CR Mark Type Approval certificate for LED lights